Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Art Is My Weapon

"Art Is My Weapon"

This piece along with "Azra" got into the first juried show I've ever entered in, at the Union Art Gallery's 41st Annual Juried Show. Before this I was never into 'art competitions', and I'm still not, but i decided to give this a try because what do I have to lose? Since Ive started at UWM in September Ive been through a lot of ups and downs and social realizations.. I am the 
only Afro american girl in every single one of my classes, but Ive used this new experience to become strong and leader rather than let it break my spirit, while all these killings of people my age and color flourish the news. In class my peers may think i am different than them, and maybe i am, but only because how they view me due to their own self constructed/ media constructed mental boundaries.

I entered the juried show, my pieces made it in, and on opening night I was announced one of the 3 winners of the show. In addtion, the show before this i was announced as a winner of the outstanding student scholarship for the first year students. Only 'black girl' in the room and damn proud of it.

"Azra"

No comments:

Post a Comment